I was in Yorkville this morning partaking in a Toronto guilty pleasure of mine at Robin Barker hair’ sociates. Tis’ true, I often hold off on all hair cuts until I am back in Toronto. I couldn’t do what Dan of Uncornered Market does, wandering into random barber shops all around the world. To me, I am as particular about my hairdresser (or artist, in Robin‘s case), as I am about my doctor, and Robin is the best.
Beauty this morning was that my visit to Robin’s took me past where they were setting up for the 2012 Bloor-Yorkville IceFest.
Not being able to wear a hat over my newly styled hair, I got cold fast, but was glad to experience a bit of the winter beauty I felt I missed out on this year. Had I not been so cold and playing chauffeur , I would have loved to have watched the ice carvers at work. I did snap a bit of a tease of some of the beautiful ice art though:
You can catch the IceFest today and tomorrow (February 25th & 26th, 2011) at the Village of Yorkville Park (Bellair St. & Cumberland St.). Here’s the schedule of events:
Winter Wilderness ~ noon – 5 pm, Saturday & Sunday
- Winter Wilderness Ice Art Exhibition
- On-Street Skating Performance by Glisse on Ice at 1 pm, 2:30 pm & 4 pm
- Restaurant Street Vendors
Ice Carving ~ noon – 5 pm, Friday, Saturday & Sunday
- Competition – on Saturday, starting at noon
- Demonstrations – Friday, Saturday & Sunday
Ice Lights ~ unconfirmed Saturday night
- I can’t confirm this, but based on what I saw, I suspect the Winter Wilderness Exhibition will be lit up for a romantic icy stroll tonight, before tucking into one of the local eateries to warm up.
I love these ice sculptures…especially the rugged Canadian fellow! I just returned back from Canada myself, and have to say, it’s now one of my favorite places on earth! Will definitely put Toronto on my list for next year!
He is pretty awesome, isn’t he.
Incredible sculptures, I guess we’ll never see anything like that here in Texas hehehe
Not unless they want to throw an event in a walk through refridgerator.
Cool sculptures 🙂
That hey are. Talented artists.